Last year at the ONE8 Preach The Word Conference Dr. Hershael York preached an incredible message entitled, "5 Reason's We Should Preach Expositional Messages". I am grateful Dr. York is allowing me to post my notes from that message today. May this be an encouragement to you as you faithfully labor to preach the Word. You can find out more about Dr. York here, and his books on Amazon.
5 Reason's Why We Should Preach Expositional Messages
1. We preach expositionally because it is the only form of preaching that takes the Word of God as it is written.
a. It assumes you have a High View of God's Word.
b. It assumes you don't set yourself above the text.
c. It submits to the truth as the Holy Spirit revealed it.
- What does it mean?
- How does it apply?
d. Your congregation see's you handle the Word correctly. (They need to learn to be self-feeders)
2. We preach expositionally because it relies on the profitability of all scripture.
a. It is not possible to preach the whole counsel of God changing Churches every two to three years (ouch!)
b. You can't be a shepherd any other way than sustained time at a local church.
c. If we believe in the profitability of all scripture we will preach the whole counsel of God.
3. We preach expositionally because it has a high view of preaching.
a. We believe in the power of the Holy Spirit using God's Word and transforming people.
b. Our view of preaching will be dictated by our view of Scripture.
c. The way we handle the Word in the pulpit is the way our members will handle it at home.
4. We preach expositionally because it forces us to be hard thinkers.
a. It forces us to know the meaning of the text.
b. It forces us to think about how it applies.
c. How people perceive? This is a most arduous task. (Don't be a preacher that puts people asleep)
5. We preach expositionally because it limits itself to the authors intent for maximum authority.